Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Endometriosis And Chronic Pelvic Pain.

March is Endometriosis Awareness Month!!

I have been dealing with Endometriosis and Pelvic Pain since the age of 12. My pelvic pain turned into Chronic Pelvic Pain when I was 15, it wasn't just on my period, but every single day. All the doctors thought I was making up the pain...So I went a new GYNO when I was 16 and he put me on Percocets. Then a few years later WHEN I was 18, he wanted to do surgery, a Laparoscopy, and see what is causing such pain, that is every day. He said that is not normal. So I had my first Lap in November 2006 and they found Endometriosis. He kept me on the Percocets, and said I need to have a hysterectomy or try to have kids, that I may never be able to. Do you know how that feels at the age 18 and your about to get married?? Then when I moved to Alaska and got married, I went to the Doctors, had no GYNO in Alaska then, so they wouldn't give me my Percocets (thank God I had a ton that my Doctor in Oklahoma gave me a lot) So I switched Doctors and she finally gave me Percocets. Then we moved to Colorado and my PCM put me on Fentanyl patches, which wasn't doing the job, then tried me on OxyContin, it worked but then stopped, so put me back on Fentanyl patches, this time 100mg, well it stopped working and he coulda upped it but then I asked for something else, so he tried Morphine, it worked for a while and he keep upping it (same with all the pain meds) So I asked to be put on OxyContin, which works better for me even tho Morphine is stronger. So I need to get it upped again. I take Percocets for the break thru pain.. And yes it's safe for me to be on OxyContin while TTC. I am on strong ass pain meds and still in A LOT of pain, everyday. I'm ovulating right now and yesterday I was starting to and the pain was so bad I had to take 6 perks for it to stop..for like 3 hrs, then I took a nap to slept some of it off... It is sooo bad because of all the fertility drugs, mainly the injections.. Pelvic pain is NOT like cramps, pelvic pain is a trillion times worse...I WISH I had cramps instead of this pelvic pain... I know most of you know what Endometriosis is. But March is Endometriosis Awareness Month! So still gonna blog about it. :)

The word Endometriosis comes from the Greek endon meaning "within" and the Greek metra meaning "uterus", akin to Greek meter meaning "mother" The word osis comes from the Greek and/or Latin suffix meanings "affected with, condition, abnormal process."

Endometriosis is the growth of cells similar to those that form the inside of the uterus (endometrial cells), but in a location outside of the uterus. Endometrial cells are the same cells that are shed each month during menstruation. The cells of endometriosis attach themselves to tissue outside the uterus and are called endometriosis implants. These implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines, and on the surface lining of the pelvic cavity. They can also be found in the vagina, cervix and bladder, although less commonly than other locations in thepelvis. Rarely, Endometriosis implants can occur outside the pelvis, on the liver, in old surgery scars, and even in or around the lung or brain. Endometrial implants, while they can cause problems.

Now let's move on the pelvic pain, and trust me there is a HUGE difference between cramps and pelvic pain..

Chronic Pelvic pain is one of the most common medical problems among woman, that last more than 6 months and affects a woman's quality of life. Painful periods, pelvic pain may begin before and extend several days into your period and may include lower back and abdominal pain. Severity of pain isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of the extend of condition. Some woman with mild Endometriosis have intense pain, while other with some severe scarring may have little pain or even no pain at all. Pelvic pain at other times. You may experience pelvic pain during ovulation, a sharp sharp deep during intercourse, or pain during bowel movements or urination.

I want people who don't understand Endometriosis, to understand it and to understand how painful it really is... For some that have it, it's not as bad and they get cramps, not pelvic pain. Endometriosis can cause Infertility. Not everyone with Endometriosis will have a problem conceiving. I pray for every woman/girl who has it, because I know how painful it truly is... It affects my life SO BAD! I haven't done a lot of things because I am in bed Screaming/crying and drugged up because the pain is BEYOND bad...I pray we get a cure every soon and not just doctors telling us to get a hysterectomy. Even getting one, does not cure it and most people STILL have really bad pain.

8 comments:

  1. I am sorry you are in so much pain.:( I can't even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so very strong, and you will make it through this all. I have every faith in it. I understand endometriosis. My stepsister has it. It took she and her husband two years to conceive. They did everything that you've been doing, but she doesn't have the rest of the things that you've been dealing with, which is why it was easier for her. Anyways, I love you. Keep your head up. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine how awful all of that pain must be for you. I hope there is a cure soon and that you get relief soon! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am most concerned for girls that have pain from their onset of periods. Much of the time it is dismissed or viewed as a problem of "overprotective" parents, etc.

    It is now clear that bowel problems in infancy and at toilet training can cause injuries to pelvic nerves that become manifest when oestrogen stimulates increasing blood flow through the uterus at menarche.

    You are quite right to say that surgery is not a panacea. For the most part, the blobs of endometriosis are irrelevant to symptoms. Symptoms result from underlying injuries to pelvic nerves - often as a result of difficulties in the bathroom, or, injuries suffered in labor (in parous women). Hysterectomy removes the bulk of abnormal nerves and the cyclical changes in pain associated with changes in blood flow during the month It does go away with the menopause (or removal of ovaries).

    It is difficult to make this sound helpful - but many women are grateful to know where it comes from, and how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for all the pain that you have had to and continue to deal with. It is so unfair. You are one of the sweetest and most caring people that I've "met", if I could take the pain from somehow I would in a heartbeat. You are in my prayers...

    Elle

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to say "take the pain from *you* somehow"

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter at age 12 has started complaining of pelvic pain and that is how I found your blog. I am going to take her to my chiroprater who has helped many patients with problems related with nerves found in the spine which with adjustments can relieve many problems that Dr.s only medicate. I will say a prayer for you to find your cure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...